The Caramuru Group operates three biodiesel production units, two in Goiás and one in Mato Grosso, with a capacity to process 545 million liters per year, generating more than 150 direct and one thousand indirect jobs.
Our units are integrated to the national program for the production and use of Biodiesel (PNPB), the Federal Government, providing technical assistance to 886 farmers family profile in 2016.
Biodiesel is produced entirely from vegetable oils, principally soybean, thus its importance to preserving the environment. Biodiesel is an excellent substitute for fuels derived from petroleum and natural gas and because of their very nature, the energy they produce is clean as well as renewable.
After the chemical transesterification process, the vegetable oil becomes compatible with diesel engines. Containing more than 100 times less sulfur then diesel produced from petroleum, bio diesel emits 48% less carbon monoxide, 67% less hydrocarbons and 47% less solid particles, which pose a great threat when inhaled by both people and animals. Since the biodiesel flashpoint is considerably higher than other fuels, it is much safer to handle, store and transport.
The Caramuru Group started its biodiesel production back in 2006 at a unit located in São Simão, in Goiás. At that time, some R$42.8 million were invested, funds arranged through the BNDES. Two years later and after an additional R$12 million, production capacity was expanded to 225 million liters per year.
In 2010, once again with support from the BNDES, the Group invested R$54 million in another industrial unit located at Ipameri, to produce 625m³ of biodiesel per day.
In 2016, the Group finished in Sorriso the installation of its third biodiesel production unit, from vegetable oils and animal fats. The unit, with capacity to process 95.7 thousand cubic meters of biodiesel per year, started operating in 2017.
Know some positive effects of this investment:
- Promoting sustainable development within the country.
- Increased activity of Family Agriculture.
- Generating income with the introduction of new crops.
- Genuinely national renewable fuel production, generating gradual replacement of petroleum products.
- Reduction of emission of pollutants in the air.
- A fuel with sulfur levels more than 100 times lower compared to traditional diesel oil.
- Since the biodiesel flashpoint is considerably higher than other fuels, it is much safer to handle, store and transport.
- Best quality in combustion due to higher cetane number, which generates a complete burning and contributes to lower greenhouse gas emissions.